A Character Profile by Juneta Key Storytime Blog Hop January 31st
Storytime Blog Hop January 31st – A Character Profile
(Note: The profile may sound a bit cliche, but the point was to capture the voice of the character.)
I’ll just say it. I am a Raven. Yes, black feathers, dark long beak, tiny black beady eyes. I get a lot of bad press because I’m omnivorous. A bird has to eat. In the wild, you take it as you can find it. I like to hunt with the wolf. I spot it. He kills it. We eat it. As for the city, another man’s garbage is a raven’s banquet, if you can keep from getting shot. Man is awfully protective of his garbage. It’s not like he is going to eat it. I like to hunt with man’s metal beast too, but if you feast on roadkill it’s a game of dodge the other four-wheeled beasts just to get a bite.
It’s also true I’m a bit of a kleptomaniac. I like shiny objects; however that story about me trying to steal the sun, moon, and stars is false, never happened. You believe me, don’t you?
I do have one lofty mission in life, despite man’s determination to see me as a symbol of doom and gloom. I am not a harbinger of death. I smooze with angels. I’ve been chosen. I escort souls across the chasm of light, so they don’t get lost.
And yes, its light, not dark. Not all things that shine are good. AND, not all things that are dark are evil, like me. I can tell you what is the root of all evil though–Boredom! That is when trouble generally finds me.
The thing is I crave variety; the spice of life. I’m not good with routine, nor am I much of a team player. I don’t like all that death stuff either. It’s depressing. The soul part is all good, but it is the living souls that fascinate me. Departed souls can be resistant because souls don’t always want to cross right at the moment of death. Then I have to stick around till they get their shit settled, or they decided to stay in that half-life status. It’s rather ironic that I have the nature of a forager and the mission of Angels. It’s got to be some kind of test or cosmic joke. Right?
- Kleptomaniac (Loves shiny objects—Can’t resist them)
- Mate for Life
- Nest in pairs, but stay away from other pairs—(It’s a territorial thing, and self-preservation. Raven’s don’t share well.) He hasn’t found his mate yet.
- Hunts with wolves, and share the kill
- Doesn’t like all that doom, gloom and despair crap—Raven likes to have fun. Life was created for adventure
- Likes the Native American legends about the Raven. The virility thing is a good one too.
- The reason he is associated with death; it’s his job function. He escorts the dead across the divide—bridge.
- He likes people. They have lots of shiny objects, and they do interesting things, and there is always food around where there are people.
- Shiny Objects
STORYTIME BLOG HOP PARTICIPATES – Click the links and read more stories around the globe. And don’t forget to scroll all the way to the bottom of the post and leave us a comment. We all love those.
- Monstrous Monday by Fanni Soto
- Grandma’s Legacy by Elizabeth McCleary
- Dragonslayer by Barbara Lund
- Megan’s Virus by Karen Lynn
- Studenting by Chris Makowski
- I, The Magician by Raven O’Fiernan
- Growth Spurt by Bill Bush
- Mystical Manatee Park by J. Q. Rose
- Phased Out by Kami Bataya
- Snow White (17) MURDERED by K. M. Flint
February 2, 2018 @ 09:17
I love ravens they’re such majestic creatures and your one has an intriguinf peraonality. I’m curious to find out about his story.
Karen at Reprobate Typewriter
February 1, 2018 @ 17:12
I could see a character like this carrying a novel. Keep going!
February 1, 2018 @ 13:32
Very through. I enjoyed this. Now, how long is it going to take you to write his story? 😀
February 1, 2018 @ 10:34
After reading this profile, I am very curious to discover him in a story. What a wonderful character. Bet you’re having fun with this one. My fave line is “It’s rather ironic that I have the nature of a forager and the mission of Angels.”
January 31, 2018 @ 18:37
Success on the voice! Nicely done!
January 31, 2018 @ 09:39
Looking forward to knowing, as they say, the rest of the story. 🙂
January 31, 2018 @ 08:57
Great voice, Juneta! I enjoyed this.
Storytime Blog Hop January 31st - Snow White (17) MURDERED by K. M. Flint -
January 30, 2018 @ 23:59
[…] Storytime Blog Hop January 31st Character Profile by Juneta Key […]