Bubba and Squirt’s Mayan Adventure
Top Ten List on Mayan Mythology
From Sherry Ellis
I did a lot of research for my book, Bubba and Squirt’s Mayan Adventure. Here are my top ten interesting characters from Mayan Mythology.
- Kinich Ahua: The Mayan sun god. A ten-pound jade carving of his head was found at the Temple of Masonry Altars at Altun Ha in Belize. That’s where Bubba and Squirt go in this adventure. I also went there in 1998. (Pictured Below)
- Chac: The Mayan god of rain and thunder. This god looks like an old man with reptilian features. Rain pours out of his eyes, and thunder comes from his huge ax. The ancient Mayans sacrificed a lot of people to him. (I’d be crying, too, if people were sacrificed for me!) There’s a carving of his head on a wall at Altun Ha. (Pictured below)
- Ix Chel: The moon goddess and the goddess of fertility. She’s also the patron of weavers. In Mayan mythology, she’s an important lady. When I visited Cozumel, I saw the ruins of a shrine dedicated to her.
- It Zamna: The ruler of night and day who can resurrect the dead. He’s depicted as a pleasant, toothless old man. Supposedly, he taught the Mayan people about calendars and how to grow corn.
- Cizin: The god of earthquakes and death. Also known as the “stinky god” because he looks like a skeleton and smokes cigarettes. Apparently, Mayans figured out how to roll tobacco back then.
- Bacab: This is actually 4 gods who support the sky and represent North, South, East, and West.
- Yum Kaan: Patron of hunters. Farmers ask him for protection for their crops.
- Kulkulkan: A feathered serpent who is the god of earth, wind, and fire. He created humans and lives in the ocean. He is also the god of the resurrection.
- Tate Duende: This is a character from Belize folklore. His name translates to “grandfather goblin” and he is the guardian of the jungle. He has a long beard and wears animal skins and a wide-brimmed hat. The weird thing about him is that he has no thumbs, and his feet are on backwards. But don’t mess with him or hurt anything in the jungle, or he’ll pull off your thumbs and send you somewhere far away! Bubba befriends this character in the book.
- Alux: This is a gnome-like character from Mayan mythology. It’s made with clay and a little blood from its owner. Its job is to protect its owner and his/her possessions. Bubba meets this little character and finds out just how mischievous it is!
Sherry Ellis’ MC Book Tour for her latest release, BUBBA AND SQUIRT’S
fiction story that readers of all ages will enjoy.
◊ Publisher: Dancing Lemur Press (Sept. 7, 2020)
◊ Print & eBooks
◊ Paperback: 96 pages
◊ ISBN-10: 1939844703
◊ ISBN-13: 978-1939844705
Squirt find when they travel through the mysterious vortex for another wild
adventure. There they meet archeologists who are unearthing priceless
them. And an encounter with the Tate Duende awakens magic within Bubba. Throw
in the mysterious Alux and a new discovery and things get sticky.
solve the mystery, or will they be stuck forever in the jungles of Belize?
award-winning author and professional musician who plays and teaches the
violin, viola, and piano.
When she is not writing or engaged in musical
activities, she can be found doing household chores, hiking, or exploring the
world. Ellis and her family live in Atlanta, Georgia.
* Goodreads * Blog * Website * Amazon Author Page
tour-wide giveaway. She is giving away ten (10) autographed print copies of the
book open to all. Be sure to enter below on the Rafflecopter widget. If the
widget doesn’t appear, click HERE to enter
the giveaway. The giveaway ends at midnight on Oct. 17th.
tour for more information and chances to enter by visiting the following sites:
Alex J. Cavanaugh
– Guest Post
Tuesday, Sept. 15 – Lisa
Haselton’s Reviews and Interviews – Interview
Wednesday, Sept. 16 – The Story of a Writer – Review
Thursday, Sept. 17 – Book Reviews by Pat Garcia – Review
Friday, Sept. 18 – Booked Solid with Virginia C – Feature
Rockin’ Book Reviews
– Review & Top Ten List
Monday, Sept. 21 – Just
Jemi – Review & Interview
Anna del C. Dye
Official Page – Excerpt
Tuesday, Sept. 22 – Baroness’
Book Trove – Review
Saturday, Sept. 26 – Storeybook
Reviews – Excerpt
Monday, Sept. 28 – Elizabeth Spann Craig’s Blog – Guest Post
Joylene Nowell Butler –
Woman – Feature
Wednesday, Sept. 30 – Nesie’s
Place – Excerpt
Friday, Oct. 2 – Thoughts
in Progress – Review
Monday, Oct. 5 – The
Sexy Nerd “Revue” – Excerpt
Wednesday, Oct. 7 – Willow
Writes and Reads – Review
Friday, Oct. 9 – Celticlady’s Reviews – Excerpt
Monday, Oct. 12 – Literary
Rambles – Interview
Wednesday, Oct. 14 – Writer’s
Gambit – Feature & Top 10 List
today. Do you enjoy all different types of genres and age-related stories?