If it is listed, then I use it, have used it, or really, really want it. These tools excite me. I love tech. Many of the apps, software listed have free versions.
The first step to creating a solid writing habit is accountability. Committing to certain days, and/or times to show up and just write.
Timed writings are an effective way to make a short commitment, say 10 to 20 minutes a day to just write (or week if that is all you can manage), and then you are done. You met that daily/weekly goal. It adds up over time and before you know it, you have completed a project.
Just doing the writing is a big part of reaching your goals and becoming a working writer part time or full time or hobbyist with a book in print.
Set small goals and do the work, show up. You need to write a book or story first, before you can submit to magazines or publishers or upload to Amazon or another book platform.
Be brave. Do it and put your work out there. Start now rather than later. Take your writing seriously and commit, so others can take your writing seriously too. Take the first step. Just Write!
“Don’t Worry, Be Happy. ” “Commit, show up–Just Write!” ~Bob Marly and Me.
August Resource: Creating Writing Habits
PRODUCTIVITY TOOLS FOR WRITERS
Creating Writing Habits
If you like this free app you can find it here Mood Writing Progress Meter
Snaptimer -Desktop Countdown Timer For Windows. Stays on top or not, your choice of options. Sounds to chose from for timer, plus you can enable ticking sound so you hear it while it counts down. Simple. Easy. Free to use.
Write to Die2 Time Your Writing with funny alarms. Make that NaNo project, and shut your internal editor up Brought to you by Dr. Wicked, Write or Die 2 is a procrastination killer designed to help a writer focus on a task with either fear or reward tactics. Run with Windows, Mac, and Linus, this app has several terrifying consequences for if it detects its author not writing and lazing off to procrastinate.
- The Pomodoro Technique Plan Your Day In Spurts to get more done.
- TweetDeck Manage your tweets
- KeyHero Improve Your Typing Free Typing Test to practice getting faster and more accurate.
FUN WRITER TOYS
These are not cheap, but boy do I want one. Word processors, Keyboards, and New-Fangled Writing Tools
- QwerkyWriter Qwerty Toys Typewriter inspired keyboards.
TEXT TO SPEECH – SPEECH TO TEXT
- Natural Reader Text to Speech Online Reader Free
- SpeechNotes Dictate your book online. Convert your voice to text.
MIND MAPPING, DISTRACTION FREE, TO DO LIST AND WORKFLOW SOFTWARE
- Storyboarder Free Visualize your stories. A story drawing tool.
- Coggle It Simple Collaborative Mind Maps
- WORK FLOW+/& TO DO LIST Organize Your Brain WorkFlowy is a notebook for lists. Use it to be more creative and productive.
- Mind Meister Collaborative Mind Mapping
- HABIT TRACKER
- DISTRACTION-FREE WRITING About Omm Writer, This is inspirational software to help you get in the mood, and promote concentration. It has sounds effects and visuals, while you write. It is a tool to encourage you to write. Writer’s block? Ideas lagging, try this inspirational tool. WHAT OMM WRITER HAS TO SAY ABOUT THEIR PRODUCT OmmWriter emerged as an internal tool to help transport us away from the humdrum noise; allowing us to be at one with ourselves and our ideas. All said and done, after having created something so valuable, we figured that OmmWriter was just too good to keep to ourselves. Omm Writer download
- Scapple Trial copies created by Scrivener creators SCAPPLE Mind Mapping Software
Scapple is comparable to Inspiration 9 Mind Mapping software, but without as many bells and whistles and priced less. BONUS feature for me is that Scapple can be imported into Scrivener after you create your mind map, so your project is all in one place, writing and all.
Scrivener Scapple Trial copies SCAPPLE Mind Mapping Software
What is Scapple? According to Scrivener
Scapple is an easy-to-use tool for getting ideas down as quickly as possible and making connections between them. It isn’t exactly mind-mapping software—it’s more like a freeform text editor that allows you to make notes anywhere on the page and connect them using straight dotted lines or arrows. If you’ve ever scribbled down ideas all over a piece of paper and drawn lines between related thoughts, then you already know what Scapple does.
WORD FUN RESOURCES
- WORD SENSE DICTIONARY
- Hiveword online fiction organizer tool
- Mobysaurus Thesaurus Free download Mobysaurus Thesaurus is a free, comprehensive (over 30,000 headwords and 2,500,000 synonyms), feature-rich, easy-to-use, off-line English thesaurus that helps you write and speak better by leading you to the right word for every purpose or occasion. Version 1.0.55 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
- Word Menu Dictionary Word Menu At a Glance—Word reference software for any kind of writing—Organizes words visually by subject matter for quick reference—Helps you find the right word exactly when you need it.
- Get Books From Your LOCAL Library Online. OverDrive Borrow eBooks, audiobooks, and more from your local public library – anywhere, anytime. All you need is a library card.
- Survey Monkey Create your own surveys to use in your blog and emails.
- Key Word Tool It is what it is Key Word Tool.
- The Great Course Plus Learn Everything About Anything
- 750 Words It is about learning a new habit writing every day.
- Google Input Tools Your words, your language, anywhere
I have put together this resource list on Writer’s Gambit, my author platform, in support of Ninja Writer’s August theme.